Slider

Target check out lane boy

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Standing in the check-out lane tonight, a 7 year old boy with his grandma in front of me. Out of the corner of his eye he sees my (now quite noticeably) pregnant belly, and looks fit to burst with words. I see grandma watch the scene and start to look a little horrified, obviously concerned that her grandson is about to say something that is going to be a touch on the inappropriate side:

Boy: "You're going to have a baby!" he says, pointing straight at my belly.
Me: "Yup, you guessed right!"
[Grandma winces a little behind him].
Boy: "What is it?"
Me: "Well, we don't know if it's a boy or a girl."
Boy: "I think it's a girl."
Me: "Oh yeah? Well, we will have to see!"
Boy: "If it's a girl, you should name her Amy."
Me: "That's a good name - I will have to put it on my list."
Boy: "And if it's a boy, you should name him Jack."
Me: "I like that one too! You're good at thinking of names..."
Boy: "And if it's a girl, her middle name could be Lee. And the last name should be ______________."
Me: "Oh! I hadn't really even thought of middle names yet."

We continue to banter back and forth, as Grandma continues to have a mostly sheepish look on her face, but also one that has a hint of being secretly proud and delighted.

To that Grandma: wear your delight. He was a hilarious chat in the midst of what would have otherwise been a dull and dreary 5 minutes in the checkout lane. And to be honest, if I have a boy (or girl) like him, I'll be pretty delighted myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan