Slider

Psalm 126 (Rewritten In My Own Words)

Sunday, December 31, 2017


Occasionally at our church, we have what's called a "Jubilee Sunday". It's an intergenerational service, so all the kids get to join in worship, reflection and celebration with the adults. These usually end up being some of my favorite services, partially for that reason - the whole body, made up of all its many parts, gathered together to worship Jesus.

Today, we were led through a series of four reflective exercises. At one table, we were asked to re-write the words of Psalm 126 (NRSV) in our own words. This isn't a new practice for me - I've been invited to re-write scripture in a way it comes alive for me before, but I haven't done it in quite a while. In fact, this past year, it's been very difficult for me to find much joy in reading scripture at all.

Much of Psalm 126 is a picture of tears being turned into joy, of nightmares becoming dreams come true. I didn't know it before heading to church this morning, but a reminder that I serve the Turner-of-Tears-Into-Laughter is exactly what I needed. Interestingly, so many of my interpretations of joy came from my children, too. They are some of the best teachers of joy and laughter I have ever known and so, naturally, when I picture joy, I see their faces.

This is what came to me this morning as I re-wrote this Psalm:

When God returned what was lost
we were all smiles - we could hardly believe it!

We couldn't stop laughing and screaming
like you do when you're in a bounce house.
Everybody said "God really helped them!"

And God really did help us!
And we were suuuuuper glad!

Give us back what was lost, God
like a flood (but a good one - the kind where dry deserts become huge lakes!)

Let everyone who can't stop crying
start to have uncontrollable laughter instead. 

Let us see people who left sad, who wet the ground with their tears
come back laughing like they just had the best tickle fight,
hands full of all that they thought they had lost.

1 comment:

  1. I'm waaaay behind on my feedly and just now seeing this. So beautiful, friend! You inspired me to try rewriting some Scripture too. Love your heart.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan